Skip to main content

The ugly face project;

I started a little psychologic project of mine some months ago. It's quite simple. I neglected care for my face (let my beard and hair grow without straightining or cumbing them or anything (unless washing)).
Let me tell you this already: it really looked ugly (ok, uglier than before :-) ), (as multiple times confirmed by some of my friends and colleauges of which some really couldn't gasp at all why I am doing this), but especially at the beginning (when the beard wasn't that full and the hair still went every direction). (The attached photograph is about a week ago, so far from the beginning).

The purpose was to find out for myself -subjectivily of course, how can it be else in such a setup- if people really acted differently on 'looks' like everyone seems to be so certain about.
Another purpose was to train myself more on not caring of other people's opinions and approvals (to have not even a repressed feeling). Thrust me, I am already doing this less than like 90% of the sheep population, that probably don't know it themselves, but I wanted more. I wanted my mind to be more free in this way. I believe we are too subjective to other people's approval and it tampers with our thoughts and principles too much. Partly why, IMHO, we don't change into better people anymore and are accepting all the bad behavior (not mentioning T.V, but that's another story).

The whole 'experiment' has been going on now for about 2months and I am not sure if i am continuing it or not when writing this.

Well, the results are quite controversial and all but conclusive for myself.
What I noticed was the following:
- People stared more at me as before, though most of them hid this. I cought their looks by the corner of my eye and when looking at them, their faces went smooth or blank again.
- A handfull of people stared straight at me without hiding it (unless untill I kept staring back longer then they found interesting). When I refrained myself from staring back immediatly, I got a record for like 20' (with non-looking intervals of course!) (in a pita bar at the Vooruit in Ghent)!
-Another handfull laughed at me (in the ridiculing kind of way) in my face or laughed at me and couldn't hide it when I noticed it and looked at them. Some of these just hád to talk and laugh about it with there immediate environment.
- (Amazingly), I also experienced a handfull of people that reacted friendlier(!!) at me. Did they pitty me ? Did they understood my statement about looks ? ...?

After all, I still believe looks are a big part of judgement and (immediate) reaction in this society, but I find this test failed because I had not enough reactions that were giving an idea of its content because most people hid it too well and others were too few to conclude anything (though I have a very subjective 'feeling' they were all negative).

What I did find out at least is that it ís noticed and reacted to unmistakably!
No surprise, but at least I found out unmistakably without accepting what seems logic or what everyone claims.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors!!!

Another one of those problems out here that I have found more and more compelling as well as frustrating in my life as well as for the whole world is that doctors of today seem not really concerned with their patients anymore, when practicing their profession rather focusing on symptom treatment and "pills" (so to speak) than the causes and real health or well being of the patient. Also that they are weigh too much focused on the money they " deserve " and the competition ( do I smell another form of my favorite word conformism in the latter? ). I have had a lot of discussions with some medicine students (not coincidently), and though I thought a lot of them wouldn't come out for it, I was surprised to learn that a lot of them dó admit that (the promise of) money is a big part in their decision to study medicines!! Of course it's not merely doctors, but the whole health care institution that is becoming more and more of a profiting "machine&qu

The Four Ages of Man

Pilar, a new friend, has revived the ever lasting poem in me brain.  It remains there partly because of a disastrous trial of mine once, to improve my memory.   But it's a nice piece nevertheless. It's a poem that struck me as being simple, sooo true, yet ironic (or even sarcastic) in only 8 lines of text!!    Here it is:   The Four Ages of Man Yeats He with body waged a fight, But body won; it walks upright.   Then he struggled with the heart; Innocence and peace depart.   Then he struggled with the mind; His proud heart he left behind.   Now his wars on God begin; At stroke of midnight God shall win. Amazing is that I could as well project it on the life of á man as well as on the life of all mankind (through evolution and with the apocalypse at the end). Euh, no ... I do not believe in God, nor do I disbeleive It/Him/Her!!  I am just happy without needing to decide on it.

Basics of equality

I have had this idea for as long as I can remember, but only lately it has taken some form in thoughts & words. Though it needs a lot of fixing -aren't words so limited ?- Now I am putting it here to release it so it won't occupy my thoughts so much. Also, maybe someone can learn from this, though I doubt it isn't said already somewhere else and I doubt my blog is read by many people. (Pride is my everlasting burdon too.) Basics of equality : Actually, it's so easy, but probably also so "against one's individuality and pride" that it is so difficult to learn and live by it, if not completely subjectivily rejected by one's mind at first sight!! So, please open your mind before reading on. You see, what makes a person ? Well, it's simple actually, man equals DNA (body, looks, behavior, ..) + life experience (education, accidents, confrontations, luck!, .. ; though isn't luck , or rather: chance, what life experience is the result