Skip to main content

OK, Ecosia is a bit less good than Google, but I'm gonna keep with it..

I came across this video about Ecosia, a tree planting search engine:


Short synopsis:

Participate in reforestation by changing your default search engine to Ecosia. Really, that's all it takes!
http://ecosia.org
Ditching Google Search is also a good idea because they block independent sources.
#boycottgooglesearch
Let's not only raise our voice, but take part in changing the world. Thank you for caring AND sharing.

My experience

My friend told me then that Ecosia is too bad from google that he had to return to google, though he admitted that was some time ago and was curious if it is still so.
So, I kept my attention high since seeing that video and putting my default search engine on ecosia and I compared. I am not sure it is as bad as it was then, but here it is...

  • Ecosia often doesn't put the things I am really looking for on top of the results as much as google does. They appear very low, sometimes even not on the first page of 10 results.
  • Also, they don't have certain features.. 
    • ..like translating words directly
      Google: "translate xxx from English to Portuguese"
    • ..like asking the definition of a word
      Google: "define:Rayleigh Scattering"
      ... like looking for images of certain type
      Google: "horse filetype:png"

Ecosia does, however, do a lot! Like asking for time, weather, using it as a calculator, some filters in images and offering the wikipedia as the definition for a word nonetheless (in Google it displays the definition text as a result you can see directly and you don't have to click on the link, unless you want more detail).

So, I must say, Ecosia people have done quite a bit of features in a short time! (When google has had 3 decades and gigantic financial resource due to it's somewhat monopoly!). That is really fantastic. Trust me, I'm a programmer and a DB expert. This is deep level technical and trial-and-error heavy code-lifting!
Small side-note to that is that maybe they will grow better than Google (if enough people use it so they can stay financially healthy?).

My decision

I am gonna leave my default engine on ecosia, even though it's a bit annoying sometimes. When I need google, I just paste the keywords on the Firefox search bar and click the Google search option at the bottom of the suggestions on the location bar. It's only 3 seconds work! A bit annoying, but maybe worthwhile the trees I plant. I just hope I don't get too much annoyed on the long run...

P.S. I planted 334 trees meanwhile. Wooooow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctors!!!

Another one of those problems out here that I have found more and more compelling as well as frustrating in my life as well as for the whole world is that doctors of today seem not really concerned with their patients anymore, when practicing their profession rather focusing on symptom treatment and "pills" (so to speak) than the causes and real health or well being of the patient. Also that they are weigh too much focused on the money they " deserve " and the competition ( do I smell another form of my favorite word conformism in the latter? ). I have had a lot of discussions with some medicine students (not coincidently), and though I thought a lot of them wouldn't come out for it, I was surprised to learn that a lot of them dó admit that (the promise of) money is a big part in their decision to study medicines!! Of course it's not merely doctors, but the whole health care institution that is becoming more and more of a profiting "machine&qu

The Four Ages of Man

Pilar, a new friend, has revived the ever lasting poem in me brain.  It remains there partly because of a disastrous trial of mine once, to improve my memory.   But it's a nice piece nevertheless. It's a poem that struck me as being simple, sooo true, yet ironic (or even sarcastic) in only 8 lines of text!!    Here it is:   The Four Ages of Man Yeats He with body waged a fight, But body won; it walks upright.   Then he struggled with the heart; Innocence and peace depart.   Then he struggled with the mind; His proud heart he left behind.   Now his wars on God begin; At stroke of midnight God shall win. Amazing is that I could as well project it on the life of á man as well as on the life of all mankind (through evolution and with the apocalypse at the end). Euh, no ... I do not believe in God, nor do I disbeleive It/Him/Her!!  I am just happy without needing to decide on it.

Basics of equality

I have had this idea for as long as I can remember, but only lately it has taken some form in thoughts & words. Though it needs a lot of fixing -aren't words so limited ?- Now I am putting it here to release it so it won't occupy my thoughts so much. Also, maybe someone can learn from this, though I doubt it isn't said already somewhere else and I doubt my blog is read by many people. (Pride is my everlasting burdon too.) Basics of equality : Actually, it's so easy, but probably also so "against one's individuality and pride" that it is so difficult to learn and live by it, if not completely subjectivily rejected by one's mind at first sight!! So, please open your mind before reading on. You see, what makes a person ? Well, it's simple actually, man equals DNA (body, looks, behavior, ..) + life experience (education, accidents, confrontations, luck!, .. ; though isn't luck , or rather: chance, what life experience is the result